My first name, is in fact, and to be fully, 100% honest with you,
is Dorsey.
This creative name may come as a surprise to most of you, but as we live in a
world where creativity is based solely off of a post you saw on either Reddit,
Twitter, Facebook, or 4chan, and even that’s a stretch, I'm not surprised. This point being, originality being seen
somewhere in the sidewalks of Northern Michigan University is kind of like
hitting a jackpot.
This would turn into a nice, self-inspiring post about how
wonderfully unique I am, and how truly blessed I am to have such a crazy and creative name
and how it inspires crazy, incredible stories, but I don’t feel like turning
this blog into a sapfest JUST yet.
Also, the highest excitement I got recently was getting cast
in Legally Blonde, the musical, which is among my least favorite musicals of
all time. Why did I audition? I have no idea. Why did I even get into the idea of acting
ridiculous on stage, often doing things most people would never dream of doing
in public in front of large crowds?
Is it my name?
No, don't be an idiot.
Case in point:
Theatre people are insane. I’m
just filling the role I was given.
Aside from all this jargon about theatrics and subpar
musicals made after awesome movies (yes, I like Legally Blonde the movie, no I
am not gay), I still find myself genuinely surprised almost every time I
introduce myself to people. For eighteen
years, most of my introductions have gone a little like this:
Almost immediately, I am asked where I got such a unique
name. I used to answer this part with
great difficulty, but with college, you have to introduce yourself to new
people basically every two or three days.
That means that I have answered it so often, I say the answer now with
such efficiency that I sound like this:
Hey, you try mixing the name “Dorsey” with “robot.” It’s a lot harder than it looks. In fact, comment on this post to get a
shoutout in Friday’s Douchebag Darrel or something. The best Dorsey robot name wins.
We’ll see just how avid my followers are now. Right now, I’m expecting 0 comments, so I
should be easy to impress. But enough of
this. Back to the story.
Is it fully accurate?
I think so. I’d have to ask my
dad about it when he comes to pick me up for Thanksgiving break, if either of
us remember this by the time we leave.
But back to the name.
It doesn’t just end there.
No. Usually it goes on to the
person saying various things my name sounds like.
[horsey]
[dorsal fin]
[door]
[duhh]
Remember what I said earlier about creativity? Still applies.
Usually, after the mess of finding out my first name, they
find out my last name. Now, here’s
probably the craziest thing about my last name.
It’s apparently hard to pronounce.
These are actual, and shockingly common mispronunciations of
my name. In fact, it’s gotten to the
point where I’ve just had to embrace it.
FUN FACT: It’s one of
the reasons that my blog is called “Growls by Sprouls.” The two words rhyme. It was originally titled something like
dorsey-sprouls.blogspot.com, which is infinitely classier and probably won’t
end up screwing me out of a future career like an angsty blog about growling
will, but I’m a sucker for rhyming and catchy titles.
One more reason I’m likely to become a hobo, yo.
But back to the last name.
Once people get their heads wrapped around the fact that, yes, my name
is, in fact, pretty abnormal, they tend to get really excited.
“Oh, Dorsey, that’s such a cool and unique name!”
“I am well aware of this.
I get it all the time.”
And I do. People
always tell me that I have a cool, awesome, wonderful, fantasmagorical name. And you know what? They're right. I do.
I like my name. I don’t need their approval, though, even though they say it constantly, as if I was horribly judged as a child for having such a different name.
Actually, now that I think about it, it almost makes too much sense.
And as for getting this response most to all of the time I introduced myself? It was annoying at first, but then I decided to have a little fun with it.
Actually, now that I think about it, it almost makes too much sense.
And as for getting this response most to all of the time I introduced myself? It was annoying at first, but then I decided to have a little fun with it.
I don’t know what’s more sad, that I want a name like
Dorselus, or that some people actually buy that my name is, in fact, Dorselus.
But by the time that they eventually realize that it is, in fact, just
Dorsey, they decide to see just how abnormally named my life is. Unfortunately...
That’s what she said.
But to leave this on a much classier note, Growls by Sprouls
now officially has a Facebook page! If
you aren’t already connected to me via Facebook (and that’d be about 98% of the
people who actually read my blog), you can just click HERE and hit “like!”
You know you want to.
And since I’m doing shameless plugs, don’t forget to follow
me on Twitter, @growlsbysprouls. Or do
forget. Whatever makes you happy.
And yes, I am well aware that I ruined a perfectly good blog
post just to self-advertise. Yes, I’m a
horrible human being. I think this has
already been proven.
























Dorso 9000
ReplyDeleteDorsonator 9000
Dorsocon 9000
Dorseod 9000
(9000 is just a really great robo-number)
I am Dorborg...
ReplyDeleteDorseosarus! Or Dorseyomatic. Or MP4-12C. (BTW that is both a car and a fax machine) Or D.O.R.S.E.Y : Deliberate, original, realistic, sarcastic, edgy, and and youthful!
ReplyDeleteDor-C3PO
ReplyDeleteOkay you did NOT ruin your post by self-advertising. In fact, I think you slipped it in with class. I still don't know how to do that! (I liked your Facebook page.)
ReplyDeleteAnd you name is awesome. When I first stumbled upon your blogger profile, I didn't really think Dorsey was an abnormal or weird name. I just thought, "Hey, I've never heard this name before, it's nice!" People have trouble pronouncing my name all the time. Seriously. Fareeha Syeda Agha. It's like Furry-haa Sa-ye-da Aa-gh-aa. NO ONE GETS IT RIGHT. However, admittedly, I was mispronouncing your last name all this while! So I would say thanks for this post, it truly is useful for your blog followers and readers.
The cartoons were hilarious, I am so jealous of your Paint Skillz. TEACH ME, SIR. I always make such wobbly cartoons. Dorsbot is too funny hahaha.
Let me think of something.
Dorling = An endearing nickname for you.
Dorjeeling = Darjeeling in prehistoric times.
Dorseleus Magnificus = If you were a wizard!
(I'm loving DIETZ!'s "D.O.R.S.E.Y" most, though)
D.O.R.S.E.Y.: Device Optimized for Rational Sabotage and Efficient Yelling
ReplyDeleteDorcepticon