Facebook fascinates me.
Some people love it to death, some people simply can’t stand it. Some people use it to connect with older
friends, some use it to post defensive statuses about how they aren’t
completely screwing their lives over by getting pregnant at sixteen, having
their cover photo be an obvious pot reference (which is still technically
illegal here in Minnesota), and having your beloved boyfriend’s profile picture
being the two of you sitting down, drunk, and each having a pretty obvious
vodka bottle in your hands.
Think that last part was a little too specific to actually
happen? Yeah, it kinda happened on my
newsfeed. Twice.
We’re pretty smart here in America.
But really, we as a nation (or even potentially as a planet)
have a huge, really inexplicable love for social media. That, or (even scarier) a love of hating
it. There are whole websites devoted
simply to cringe-worthy internet posts.
People love to see these kids “ruining their lives.” Death via YOLO, that kind of stuff. And where do I stand when it comes to social
media and the kids too dumb to know their internet activity will make people
judge them harshly for the rest of their life?
Well, I usually stand right in front of my laptop with a
Coca-Cola, some Triscuits, and a cringe the size of Rhode Island on my
face. And as much as some of these
statuses, photos, and shared links disgust me to no end, it’s like watching a
car crash. Or MTV. You see it derail and fall further and
further into total garbage, think to yourself, man, I should totally do something, and then when you actually DO
something, it’s to go to the bathroom on the commercial break.
If I remember correctly, this is how Rome fell. Only this time around, instead of bloody
Coliseum games, we have catfights out in New Jersey.
Is a Jersey Shore reference even relevant anymore? I honestly haven’t watched more than an hour
of TV at one time since like 2009. If
not, we can just substitute New Jersey for some other location where reality
shows are being filmed.
I wonder what the interviews for those shows are like. What kind of questions do they ask? “And would you feel comfortable dropping at
least 17 F-Bombs per episode?” “How big
is your sex drive?” “Is it possible to
make that sex drive bigger?” “Are you
prepared to be at least totally blackout drunk for 60-80% of filming?” “Do you have any STI’s that you can give to
anyone else in the house?” “How do you
feel about sex in a hot tub?” “Is your
IQ over 70?” “It is? I’m sorry, this isn’t the show for you.”
Wait, wasn’t this post about Facebook to begin with?
Right. Facebook. Where to begin? Well, much like its younger sister, Twitter
(You’d think it as a younger sister too with all the Bieber tweeters and
whatnot), it’s really just a big popularity contest where the only people who
come out on top are the ones who don’t even start to play the game to begin
with.
In reality, Facebook is like the Twitter popularity contest
on Easy Mode. You’ve got to maintain
your popularity through pictures, statuses, shared links, comments, and all
sorts of nonsense that we tell ourselves will make our lives a little more
fulfilling. And one thing I’ve noticed as I browse the “most recent” news feed
is that some of these kids have it down to a science. I’m talking daily
selfie, camera tilted religiously at 15 degrees, same face, same makeup,
rotating camera filters, and an almost endless supply of song lyrics and quotes
they got off of the sappiest Tumblr accounts and Twitter profiles. Status
updates pretty much made for a “like” up and online like clockwork. “Like if u luv ur grandma, ignore if u luv
SATAN >:(” pictures being created and shared like Pokémon cards, and those
expert “trolls,” who, instead of looking like THIS:
…look a bit like this.
(It’s funny because it’s not 2012 anymore LOLOLOLOL I’m a
trole too guys)
Their statuses are at the same level of vague “I’m having a
shitty day, please pretend to care” mixed with the occasional “I guess I know
who my real friends are” and the rare (and by rare, I mean it friggin’ should
be) LMS status. Sometimes, their
statuses can even be really clever and well thought out. Like this person’s.
And to be fair, it’s not just Facebook. You’ve got Twitter,
Instagram,
And who else knows what else is out there on people’s
smartphones.
Oh god.
And then, suddenly, out of nowhere (or perhaps good reason),
come the people saying that today’s youth are the worst we’ve ever had. Saying that we all are becoming the devil’s
kids, and that America and the world are just getting flushed down this
metaphorical toilet and that there’s no way out. The floodgates open and the complainers come
rushing in. Parents and grandparents sometimes,
but oddly enough, it’s usually the kids that are the harshest towards their
apparently “lesser” peers. I’ve actually
seen more kids complaining about stupid kids than the actual stupid kids
themselves.
And it’s not just the parents and kids. Even the babies are doing it too. (Warning: Hilarity follows this link, as it is the
Onion)
By the way, that article is arguably the best thing I’ve
read in a long time. You’d think this
was over-the-top satire, but I actually know people who would honestly react
like the parents in that story.
Now, is it just me, or was the family represented in that
(fortunately) satirical article considerably scarier than all of the things
that caused that (again, fortunately) satirical family? I mean, sure, those pregnant sixteen year
olds are a tragedy, but at least they’re human and not a walking bomb of hatred
towards anything that isn’t remotely similar to their own wants or desires.
These kids are running around on Facebook, talking about how
the world is awful, how the world is unforgiving, and how everything is
hostile, and then lashing out at the “stupid kids.”
Am I the only one that thinks this is a bigger problem than
the kids who dun goofed all throughout their high school years? We’ve had those kids for years. It’s not a new development. Why are people suddenly losing all hope for
our future because they see a bunch of Facebook statuses talking about “Blazin’
it up 420?”
It’s not like the stupid people are actually
multiplying. It’s just easier for them
to showcase the stupid things that all kids and teenagers do. Think about what a kid would have to do to
broadcast that dumb tattoo they got if it was 1963 instead of 2013. They’d more or less have to run around the
entire city just showing it off to people, compared to snapping a picture on
their iPhone and uploading it to Facebook for the entire world to see.
So, kids. Is it really them making the world more
hostile? Is it them who are making this
world practically uninhabitable? Are
they making your life the shitstorm you say it is?
Or is it you?
It’s your world; you’re the one who makes life what it is. So
I’ll let you decide. In the meantime,
here’s a bit of advice.
Okay, maybe that’s a bad example.







No way! Some of these examples are hilarious!
ReplyDeleteBut jokes aside, I totally agree that it's not the case that today's youth are stupider than previous generations, it's just that everything's more out in the open, so the stupidity is more easily 'exposed'. On the contrary, I think recent events in the Middle East have proved that today's youth are strong enough to rid their nations off dictatorships that have been around for decades, literally! Also, think of some of the most important companies in the business world nowadays. The inventor of Facebook, for example..
Honestly, clearly the older generations didn't do such a great job of managing our world. Look at the mess it's in. I think the newer generation is transcending so many boundaries and, when it's turn for them to run, will make this place so more tolerant and more focused on real issues (let's hope)
This, right here.
DeleteExactly. I look at all of the protests on the other side of the world for me and I only hope that the complaining American kids can learn a thing or two from that and make our own protests. We're not there yet, but the seeds have been planted (I hope)
That Instagram picture... I can't stop staring at it...
ReplyDeleteAnd I think you're on the wrong end of Twitter, the (forgive me) American end. I follow loads of South Asian and Middle-Eastern people who are so smart and witty. However, I agree on it being a popularity contest.
You're pretty awesome for writing about a serious issue with loads of tasteful humor.
I also agree with Ghadeer's comment!
#Comment4CommentDORSEY2013
Exactly! America *SUCKS* with this kind of stuff! I try to only follow a certain amount of people, so I haven't seen the worst of it on Twitter, but all those kids I added on Facebook in my Teenage "Man more friends=more popularity" phase was a bad choice.
DeleteMaybe...and it isn't only America.
ReplyDeleteIndia's adult population stands right alongside that of America when it comes to disappointed head-shaking about the saad state of today's youth,when,cmon,tiger-print underwear and white bell-bottoms weren't exactly socially accepted in their time either!(Ref. A certain Mr Presley)
But the kind of stuff,we, the future of the world do isn't exactly Nobel-prize worthy either and that's when I'm sorely tempted to join the oldies in their ranting or go live in a cave...with an Internet connection of course.
Yeah, I'm not really saying either side is right, and I certainly want to hide out in a hole (also with internet) to avoid it as well. Mainly I'm just saying every generation has had a fair share of both their Nobel Prize winners and their underachievers.
DeleteThis is so true!
ReplyDeleteTo be very honest, I use twitter and Facebook to connect with people and I try my best to avoid updating sad statuses and all that. But yes I agree that there are a lot of stupid stuff going on. However at the same time, there are quite smart people too. and like you said about the dumb tattoo they got if it was 1963 instead of 2013, its just that now there a whole lot of medium to vent out every little thing.
ReplyDelete“Like if u luv ur grandma, ignore if u luv SATAN >:" Hahaha This made me laugh. :D
oh and I have tagged you in a post. Have a look.
ReplyDeletehttp://miss-ridx.blogspot.com/2013/07/lets-spread-some-love.html
Thank you so much :D