27.8.12

The Woes of Being a PC in a Mac World


Wow, look at that title.  That’s poetry.  My writing skill is increasing in leaps and bounds and it’s only the first day of classes.

Let us all take a moment and stand in awe of my incredible growth as a blogger in the past three or four days since I started college.

And ignore the fact that I woke up thinking I had a 9 AM class but really had a 10 AM class.  So now I’m sitting outside my classroom with a bunch of scary people that I don’t know who are talking about how bad their fancy coffees are…wait.  One’s leaving.  I might not possibly die.  However, I’m still sitting here, waiting for class to start, and trying to figure out my new Macbook Pro.

Yeah, you know how most colleges give you a free* T-Shirt or a free* water bottle or something to try and make you forget that you’re paying out your ass for an education?  Yeah, NMU has this neato policy that you will receive a free* computer.  Art and Design majors get a Macbook.  The other students get a Thinkpad PC.

And everyone is getting their panties in a bunch about it.  Take, for example, one of my new friends.  He’s been an apple kid his whole life, to the point of insulting anyone who would even consider using anything that runs on Windows, or even more disturbing… Google Chrome.

How haunting.

Either way, he was given a Thinkpad, much to his dismay, and now harbors some jealousy about how he paid $1300 for his super-advanced Macbook that I got for free*.

It’s actually really funny.

But he isn’t the only one.  About 90% of the students at NMU that are not Art and Design majors like myself think that this Thinkpad is Satan in computer format.  Or worse.  And all that got me thinking.  What is it with all this brand loyalty stuff?

I mean, look at it this way.  If I had one of those Thinkpads, I wouldn’t be complaining at all.  I’ve been using Windows computers my whole life.  I’m just used to them.  In fact, everything about this Macbook is a little wonky, and frankly, I’d almost rather have the Thinkpad.

Although, this came with Garage Band, so that’s pretty goddamn cool.

And it’s not just PC vs. Mac either.  I once told a guy that I drove a Ford Ranger back in high school (wait, am I getting nostalgic over high school? WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME), and he interrupts me to tell me just how much better Chevy is and how I’m an idiot for even thinking a Ford vehicle is something to be proud of.

My dad bought it for me and I didn’t have to pay for gas.  In all honesty, I can really just take what I can get.

Also, you’re some hick who’s probably going to college for a degree in partying.  Tell me how you passed all your classes when you’re drunk, listening to country music, and getting kicked off campus.

I BET YOUR CHEVROLET WON’T SAVE YOU NOW, DUMBASS.

I mean, look at it this way.  I use Google Chrome.  I don’t shove it in people’s faces though.  I use Blogger, YouTube, and Gmail, so it’s just more convenient for me to use a Google-based operating system.

Wow, one day on campus and I’m already a self-righteous snob.

They say college changes people.

But hey, maybe it’s just my lack of knowledge about technology.  After all, I am a graphic communications major here…I don’t have to know the shit.  I just have to make it look pretty.

The greatest image just popped into my mind right now.

It’s of gold-plated poop.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand we’re back to the poop jokes.

Keepin’ it classy.

Now, what was the point about this tirade against a little brand loyalty?

There is no way I can draw my Paint pictures on my new Macbook.

I could have written that shortly, but, according to Shakespeare, brevity is the soul of wit, and frankly, I’d rather be an idiot.

Did I just say that?  Did I actually say that?

College does change people.

SO, LONG STORY SHORT.

Blogs will be pictureless for the time being, frankly because I'm lazy and these new college memories and stories are coming by in truckloads.

Like the time we went cliff diving and I didn't cliff dive.

Maybe the ultimate frisbee game we played that I more or less was ignored in?

OH I KNOW THAT TIME WE HUNG OUT IN A ROOM AND TALKED AND I JUST NODDED IN THE CONVERSATION.

I'm such a loser.

1 comment:

  1. woah, ellen, you got pretty violent in there, take a chill pill

    ReplyDelete