26.7.12

Adventures in College: Orientation (Day 2)





Who needs an alarm clock when you’ve got good cooking equipment?


I rolled over and sat up.  My roommate looked at me and smiled.  We had our first genuine conversation.  He was from Chicago.  Then the conversation took a turn.




Weed?  Did it smell like weed in here?  I sniffed.  I couldn’t smell anything strongly.  Maybe it was a cold.  I sniffed again.  Did I sniff when I arrived?  I don't recall sniffing.  Did the last people to go to orientation last week smoke?  Why can't I smell weed?  What's going on here?  My roommate looked at me patiently, waiting for my response.  I panicked.  Suddenly the words jumped from my mouth.




My reaction proved my truly sheltered existence.

What a pro.

During breakfast, I informed my parents of some of my adventures the night before.  They told me that they had been behaving themselves, and even making a few of their own friends too!

Sigh, they grow up so fast.

But after that, it was all business as we went on to class after class that was supposed to be important but I just plain ignored (it turns out that going to sleep at 2 AM and then being rudely awoken at 6:30 is not a rewarding experience for your attention span).  I made it through the day, blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda. 

I’m pretty sure they told me something important, like registering for bike protection.

Or classes.  I think they mentioned that.

Oh well, it’s not like it’s my money I’m blowing.

It’s the government’s!

It’s possible that I don’t fully understand these loan thingies either.

But I’ll learn about it.  It is college, right?

Right.

It seemed like the ice-breaker for the weekend was to ask where you were from.




And as I apparently live up north in the wilderness that is the Twin Cities…




At least I wasn’t the only one.





That night, we had a nice barbeque with delicious food.



Okay, so he didn’t actually wear a hat.  But he seriously was from Texas, and he seriously thought he was the authority on all things cooked with fire and charcoal.

He liked it though.

That whole part of the story really has no purpose (well even less than the other scenarios that I've added), I've just always wanted to draw a chubby Texan on Paint.  My life is now complete.

Then there was a dance for everyone there.



That ended, and suddenly, it was time for another midnight stroll.  My group of friends and I walked off of campus, walked a couple blocks, and suddenly we were on the shores of Lake Superior.


Or maybe…




I’m such a nice guy, letting my friends have their fun while I look out for their safety.

I’ve got a thousand bucks on me always being the designated driver.

OH AND IN CASE YOU WERE WONDERING: Click HERE for Orientation Day 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment