There is one specific day of school that everyone experiences at least once or thrice per year.
Providing they have terrible eyesight, which is incredibly fitting for me. My eyesight is abysmal. The only people I know who have worse eyesight than me is my mom, my sister, and Helen Keller.
So I would say that 90% of the reason I was incredibly unpopular in Junior High was because I walked around like this:
Actually, that isn't very accurate; I spent my junior high years in recluse with my pack of loser friends in a secluded area of the school band room, blasting our sorrows and woes about being unpopular out through the trumpet and/or trombone.
Then some of my friends got popular and realized they were better than band.
I was one of them, minus the popular thing.
Oh no.
I just realized that this is going to turn into one of THOSE blogs. You know what kind of blog I'm talking about. The one about self-realization and about how truly depressing my life was and about how I overcame all obstacles and got a model of a girlfriend and lived happily ever after. Or something along those lines.
Well, I can guarantee you that that is not how this story will end up whatsoever like that.
Why? Because this blog has nothing to do with my past.
Also, if I had a model of a girlfriend, I wouldn't be wasting my time on a blog.
I really hope my current girlfriend doesn't read this.
But like I was trying to point out, I have really thick glasses. The summer I moved up to high school, I convinced my parents to let me switch to contacts, so that by September, I would at least look somewhat attractive to the kids I had yet to meet yet (two junior high schools all ended up going to the same high school, in case you couldn't quite figure that out).
Yeah, I somewhat overlooked the greasy hair and acne and awkward baggy clothes, but I blame cartoons and teen movies that glasses are solely what made me unattractive.
Thank you, Nickelodeon. You'll be hearing from my lawyers when I actually can afford one.
But the point is, while half of the school looked at me like:
"Oh, there goes a kid. That's cool. Moving on."
The kids that I had known and gone to school with thought:
"OH MY GOD THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH HIS FACE"
Okay, I know there's a lot of backstory here, but I promise you that this post has nothing to do with my past.
Then again, I could have started with "I used to wear glasses, you know."
Now would be the point where I could start over, but let's face it, I'm an impulse guy.
Also, I really feel sad when I have to delete so many words.
Anyway, the point is, after two and a half years of wearing contacts, every time I wear my glasses to school, it's always the same vocal exchange:
FRIEND: WHOA WHOA WHOA. You...wear...GLASSES?
ME: Uh, yeah. My contact tore this morning, so I just decided to wear my glasses.
FRIEND: Dude, you need to get some contacts again. It looks like there's something wrong with your face.
ME:
Okay, and there goes my overused meme of the post.
See, I wouldn't have a problem with that whole exchange if it wasn't for the fact that all the friends from the old junior high I went to were the people who were most vocal about my face problems.
Then again, they might be trying to avoid any contact with their past selves.
That actually makes a lot of sense.
Just disregard the entire post up until this point.
Wait.
I have nothing else to say.
*crickets*
Uh, what did the fisherman say to the magician?
...
"PICK A COD. ANY COD" (I'm so clever)
...
Okay fine. Don't laugh.


No comments:
Post a Comment